#AtoZ Challenge 2016: Letter D for Diya

Greetings everyone !

Lets brighten up today with brightly blazing, warmth emanating, cheer spreading Diyas or Lamps or Divas.


Shop in Istanbul, selling Lamps
My MIL shares the love and hobby of collecting lamps. So on the day of Deep Amavasya we light each and every of here collected lamps and pray for enlightenment in our hearts, our home and everything around us. Do read about this auspicious day: Divyachi Amavasya.
Lamps in Istanbul, Turkey

I just love the Diyas and Deepstambhs. Deepstambhs are the huge lamp stands outside temples. They look beautiful when fully lighted on dark nights. I think my first memory of Deepstambh is of this one near my maternal grandmom's place: Ram Mandir, Naigaon, Dadar, Mumbai, India.

Cavity to keep lighted lamps




















Talking about Deepstambhs. Here is a collection of snaps I have collected in the past few years. I just try to locate ceilings and deepstambhs in all heritage locations I go.

Jejuri Khandoba mandir
 This is at Jejuri, Khandoba devasthan. The mandatory Dev darshan you do after getting married. These are huge and look at the stands for each Lamps. When lighted how gorgeous it must be looking.

 
Kalsubai. Smaller temple at base of mountain.




Kalsubai is the highest peak in Maharashtra and an adventerous trek. Read my experience: Maharashtra's Mount Everest


Jejuri, lighting the way up the mountain


Mahalakshmi temple, Kolhapur
Istanbul inside the Mosque

Sion, Vithal Temple
 I love the Sion Vithal temple. It has superb calming vibes to it. Vithal More of Vithal :)  

 I have talked about Tungareshwar a lot. Read it again at: Tungareshwar Monsoon trek

I hope this post for Letter D was enlightening ;)



Next letter coming right up :)

Comments

Very nice one Nilima. It was fabulous to find so many varieties of Diyas
Nilima Mohite said…
Thank you Paromita. Love to collect them too :)